Project Butterfly Day 6 - Facing the Enemy

If you know me personally, you'd hear me say this before:

Its ok to lose the battle. I will win the war.

Philosophical today, arent we? Haha..

The biggest enemy, is never external. Always internal. If we are aligned, we can win any war.

Actually, I think we take for granted the simple things in life. While embarking on Project Butterfly, I started to connect more with R, with myself, with the people around me... my plants, my pets.. it made me realize that we truly crave for all the things we cannot have, and stare at the problem till we sink.

Quote from Frida Kahlo; Mexican painter.. self portraits are her favourites
"I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best."
I came across this quote some years ago. "I tried to drown my sorrows but they learned how to swim".. and I realized that it was a quote from Frida Kahlo. If you have ever been in a state of sadness for prolonged periods (some people termed it depression, but I personally dislike that word), you'd find this quote quite true.

Sadness becomes your best friend. It becomes the thing that you come home to every night after a long day... it is comforting, and decent.. and if you allow it, sadness will make you feel good. So good, that you'd get attached to Sadness... you'd crave for it to stay with you. It overwhelms you by disguising itself as a decent and good feeling. There is nothing wrong with Sadness, if you recognise it as just a feeling. It comes and goes. It becomes a problem when the pain exceeds the ability to cope with pain... If you ever are in this state, and you are reading this, reach out to me before you do anything stupid. You are not alone. I will do my best to help you.

I check up on R everyday, because I am genuinely concerned about her. When I was growing up, I spent much of my time alone. It is a liberty to most people who dont get it, and an emptiness to those who have mountains of it.

This quote from Frida Kahlo resonates well with me..  Nostalgia. Melancholy..

I do not wish for anyone to be in that state.

What did I do to get out, you ask? I embraced my weaknesses.. I focused on my strengths. I stopped feeling sorry for myself, stopped playing victim, and I became strong. I stopped all the negative voices in my head ("I am not happy.." and all the noncessant complaints), and filled it with positive ones. I found joy in being alone. I was alone.. but I was not lonely. Big difference. Many people are not alone, yet they feel very lonely. R was one of them.

As I chatted with R, I saw that she started doing the things that she used to do. She took effort to make herself feel better.. she started to clean her house, and embraced everything that was "wrong" and stopped feeling sorry for herself.

"I refuse to feel this way(sad/tormented)! I refuse!", she said.

It was the best thing I have ever heard.

Empowerment in 6 days. What an amazing feat. Well done, R. Super proud of you.






Luv, 
Jane

Comments

Popular Posts