Goodbye Josh Marks - Masterchef Season 3 Runnerup

I read with disbelief about the passing of Josh Marks. I watched him intensely on Masterchef Season 3, and although I was ecstatic when Christine Ha, I was certain that Josh would go on to do great things.

Source: CNN
But I was wrong. Reading that he was suffering from depression and other labels, he put a bullet into his head. I was completely shaken.

It make me realise how complex the human mind truly is, and how fragile we are. How much courage it took for Josh to resort to this act of "bravery". I call it brave because many people think that committing suicide is a chicken way out. I read somewhere before that people commit suicide when "the pain exceeds the ability to cope with pain". In that split second when the mind is delusional, pulling the trigger doesnt seem like such a difficult thing to do.. maybe it would be the best thing to do..?

I have yet to fully understand the human mind. I know that it is complex. I know about the left brain (which thinks about our past and future) and the right brain (which thinks about our present). So many questions come to my mind when I read this.... where were his friends? His family? His loved ones? Was it enough? What did Josh really want? I read about Josh's video on Make a Sound Project, and when I visited the website, I found a statement on Josh's death... about how after his arrest, the team from Make a Sound Project made a "very quick, poorly judged statement that we continuously regret".


http://www.makeasoundproject.com/
All these questions I have do not matter now. The fact is, he is gone. Gone too soon.

In a powerful knowledge and internet world today, where accessibility and convenience comes super soon, we may forget the simple things in life. Maybe the heart needs a little more than a conversation over Skype or Facebook. Maybe the soul needs more hugs, and physical human interaction. Maybe we have forgotten the simple rules of being responsible, taking ownership, and the golden rule: treat others like how we want to be treated. Maybe we have stopped listening. Maybe our ethical compass has surpass the simple needs for humans to be loved, instead of used... and dumped when it's no longer of commercial value.

We need to stop looking outside, and start healing from within.

Be that ear to the person you love. Stop challenging their beliefs for a moment.. stop forcing your belief onto them. Maybe they are silently calling for help. Maybe if we stop all the noise, we would be able to listen and help.

Rest in peace Josh Marks. My condolences to the family. I hope you will all continue to be strong.








Luv, 
Jane    

Comments

Popular Posts