How it feels to have a stroke

I have a friend who had a stoke which immobilized the whole of his left body. He lost function of his left arm, his left leg, his speech and his ability to write. His family, for reasons unknown to me, decided that to put him up at an old folks home. Maybe he would have better care at the facility instead of at home? I hope so. I am strongly against sending family members off to facilities when they are beyond comprehension. In my opinion, my parents never gave up on me when I was growing up, or send me away when I was throwing tantrums as a kid; so I would not resort to leaving them alone at an old folks home.

I may not understand how difficult it is to deal with a stroke patient on a daily basis. When I visited my friend, he could not put his thought process together. This brilliant man who used to manage a multinational corporation less than 5 years ago, is having difficulty pointing out numbers written on a piece of paper.

A year ago, someone shared with me this video of Jill Bolte Taylor, a a Harvard-trained and published neuroanatomist who experienced a severe hemorrhage in the left hemisphere of her brain in 1996. This video is her sharing on TED.com called My Stroke of Insight on Feb 2008. It is very inspiring true story, giving you an insight to how it feels like to have a stroke. Hopefully with this insight, we will understand the functions of the brain of a stroke patient and the difficulties that they face. Her compelling story also shows that many things are mind over matter, as she studied her own stroke as it happened and become a powerful voice for brain recovery.



Comments

Popular Posts