Would you go back to employment?

My friend, Adi, posted an interesting question today. He asked:

A question to business owners and entrepreneurs. If you're being offered a good 5-figure monthly salary, would you go back to employment?

This is really good food for thought. I believe it deserves its own post so that I can carefully think of my thoughtful answer to this question.

There are many things that money cannot buy. The most important two is freedom of choice, and good relationships. Being in employment means that I resign to the fact that my freedom is not mine. I cannot choose what time I want to go to the office, when can I take my holidays, how long would I want to be on maternity leave, nor when I want to spend quality time with people I love. There would always be an a-hole who wouldnt like the way I do whatever I do, and sooner or later there would be mistrust in the way I manage things/people; and my "employer" or reporting manager would exert his power on me to bid to his beck and call. When I disagree, he'd fire me. People who work with me might not even like me and the relationships that we have would be ultra superficial; kept to 'nothing personal, just business". Then strip off my fancy title or that big corporate conglomerate that I represent, who am I?

I really like what I do now, because in my Nu Skin business, I get to see people for who they truly are. I get to choose who gets on my team; the same way that they, too, get to choose me. The only obligation they have is to themselves, and it is my responsibility to ensure that they become the best version of themselves, In order for me to do that, I must first become the best version of me. All I ask of them is to take very good care of themselves, be more beautiful, be healthier and take good care of the people they love. If they dont want to, that's ok, because they are entrepreneurs themselves, and they are adult enough to make their own choices. The monthly salary I earn is tied directly to the amount of effort I put into, and is on a leveraged income basis. I get the perks of being an entrepreneur in a corporate setting, because I get to bring my business internationally; I have the best support from my principal in terms of product innovation, incentives, marketing materials, events, etc..; and I have a team of dedicated professionals from all different walks of life with a few common denominators - We are winners with determination to perform daily tasks of cultivating the right habits and work ethics to ensure we achieve a balanced life that employment would never be able to offer. Be more beautiful, healthier, have all the freedom in the world, make helluva great sustainable high income doing it, and offer equal opportunities to others where we can help change their lives.
A good 5-figure monthly salary in employment has a horrible ceiling to it because the end result (for me) doesnt say "happily ever after". I have big dreams and I know what heaven is like. The 5-figure monthly salary is pleasure now, for pain later (wake up at 50 with a family that doesnt even know me, a husband that is miserable with my company - or probably separated, children that I never could give my emotional best, not being able to spend time with my parents because work is more important, and have a long list of useless superficial friends who do not grow me.. urgh). I rather delay my gratification, be in pain now, and savour my pleasure later. And its just a while more till that time comes when I can indulge staying in heaven on earth.



Thanks Adi Azhar Majid for the good question. May you be well and happy! Selamat Hari Raya!

Comments

Popular Posts